What is Long Itchington Educational Foundation (LIEF)?
LIEF is a registered charity (Charity No. 528694) that aims to support young, local people in their education and training. It can trace its history and the source of its funds back to the Will of John Bosworth in 1674 that established the Bosworth Educational Foundation. LIEF now also incorporates the Elizabeth and Edmund Tompkins Foundations of 1825 and, more recently, the ‘School Foundation’.
What does it do?
Each year LIEF awards grants to Long Itchington young people and village organisations to help support education, training and personal development. This is generally achieved by:
- grants to students in higher education or vocational training;
- financial support through local schools for particular children to help with the cost of activities, for example, educational trips or additional tuition.
- equipment for Long Itchington CofE Academy;
- donations via other charities to help educational and vocational needs of local young people; and
- grants to meet any other needs that fall within the objectives of the LIEF Charity Scheme.
In 2020, LIEF made 19 grants to students from the Parish, helped with the costs of a primary school residential trip and paid for two computer tablets to support home learning. A total of approximately £4400 was distributed.
How does it work?
LIEF is administered by five Trustees, four of which are appointed by our Parish Council and one by Warwickshire County Council. The Trustees meet periodically to consider applications for grants. The main deadline for applications from individuals is approximately the end of September each year as students are about to begin their studies in the new academic year.
The Trustees will consider applications from village organisations, for example the primary school, or individuals in exceptional circumstances at any other time throughout the year.
Who can apply?
- be under 25 years of age on the 1st October of the year they apply; and
- either have lived or had their parental home within Long Itchington Parish for at least one year prior to application.
How do I apply for a grant?
Individuals applying for a grant to support their higher education or vocational training for the forthcoming year must complete and return the simple LIEF App Form 2021-22 or obtained from Andy Jack at 1 Brakeley Cottages, The Green, Long Itchington, CV47 9QJ.
Organisations requesting LIEF’s support for their activities or individuals requesting support for specific purposes should write to the Secretary in the first instance for advice about the scope of the Charity Scheme to ensure that the request falls within its objectives.
All requests for support are considered by the Trustees and subject to the availability of funds. The Trustees’ decision is final.
For more information see LIEF Poster 2021-22